While AMT has good machining capabilities we wanted to add hot work and more dirty work than our current facilities could handle. Our partnership with the Department of Spontaneous Combustion at M0XY in Oakland allows us to offer affordable metalworking classes for the community and metal working shop (lab) access for AMT members.
Frequency: One, two session class per month
Timing: Wednesdays and Thursdays 7pm – 10pm
Class size: 5 students
Learn basic arc welding skills with an emphasis on safe work practices in a metal shop environment; oxy-acetylene cutting, shielded metal arc welding (SMAW or stick), gas metal arc welding (MIG or GMAW), and flux core arc welding.
• Students must wear closed toed leather shoes, long sleeved shirts, and pants made of cotton, wool, or leather.
• Welding and cutting specific personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided.
• Students will be given safety glasses, hearing protection, and welding gloves.
• Some students prefer to have a bandana or cap to protect their hair. Long hair will need to be securely tied back.
• Students should be prepared to get anything they wear dirty and possibly damaged by sparks.
Optional texts: “Welding Skills” by Moniz and Miller, “Welder’s Handbook” by Richard Finch